Dental veneers are also known as laminates, porcelain veneers, and are very thin shells of tooth coloured pressed porcelain designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve appearance. The porcelain shells are bonded to the front of the teeth to change the colour, shape, size, or length.
Porcelain veneers resist stains better than composite resin veneers and exactly reflect light in a natural and enduring way so that they copy the look of perfect and natural teeth.
Veneers can restore
- Teeth that are discoloured from wear and tear, tetracycline staining, excess fluoride, large fillings
- Teeth that are worn down
- Teeth that are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are uneven, out of line or irregularly shapedTeeth with gaps between them (to close the space between these teeth)
The procedure for a Dental Veneer
A dental veneer requires two visits to the dentist
- Diagnosis and treatment planning - your dentist will examine your teeth to make sure dental veneers are appropriate for you
- Preparation - To prepare a tooth for a veneer, your dentist will sometimes remove about 0.5 millimeter of enamel from the tooth surface, if necessary, which is an amount nearly equal to the thickness of the veneer to be added to the tooth surface. Your dentist will make a model or impression of your tooth. This model is sent out to a dental laboratory and a ceramist will make the veneer. Your dentist will place temporary veneers for you
- Bonding - your tooth will be cleaned and prepared for bonding and a special cement is applied to the veneer which is bonded to your tooth. Once properly positioned on the tooth, your dentist will apply a light beam to the dental veneer, which activates the cement, causing it to set.
Durability of veneers
With active care, porcelain veneers can last 10 years or longer. It is important to brush twice a day, floss daily and to limit sugary foods and drinks. The dentist and dental hygienist need to check on veneers every 6 months, along with professional scaling and cleaning to ensure that the veneers stay in excellent condition.
If you are wanting to whiten your teeth to whiter than white, chances are you are comparing your teeth to the look of a smile with veneers. Models and actors often have porcelain veneers placed to make their teeth straight and to get them as white as possible. Usually these are porcelain because they look so good for a long period of time, and sometimes they are composite resin.
They are meant to look like natural teeth, and should be indistinguishable from the natural contours of your smile. They restore the tooth surface and can change the aesthetics of the teeth and smile when placed.
They may be suitable for patients who wish to treat chipped, broken or discoloured teeth, or close gaps between front teeth.
Porcelain veneers at Brisbane Smile Boutique
Our master ceramist is regarded for their high quality, attention to detail and excellence. Our porcelain veneers are locally sourced from our Brisbane based ceramist, and the quality control happens from the moment that he attends our practice to collect the impressions and photos, which are used as a foundation for the creation of the smile, so that the veneers match in perfectly to enhance your beautiful, natural teeth in shape and for the best aesthetics possible.
Individually created by our master ceramist, each veneer is matched perfectly in your smile. They are fixed permanently with bonding by our dentists in an appointment two weeks after the preparation appointment.
A full range of temporary veneer options are available as an intermediate treatment while waiting on the new veneers.
Experienced care in veneers
A veneer can last for many years but even with the very best technique and care there may come a time when they require replacement.
Our dentists, Dr Amy Daley and Dr Leila Haywood started dentistry at the University of Queensland 25 years ago, and have decades of experience in our boutique private dental practice in Brisbane, and they are committed to on going patient care. Our patients are the life of our practice, and with our team having lifetimes of experience you can be assured of the highest quality treatment standard and active dental care.
Our practice has experienced female dentists, a full time dental hygienist, visiting master ceramists, and a caring team of dental nurses. The goal is to have veneers that look as good as the day they were placed, each 6 months when we carefully examine and monitor them.